Thursday, August 20, 2009

You never know...A good experience I had today

Ok so I don't really know if I can explain this clearly..but I am going to try. When I started the job that I currently have, people would (and still do) tell me that not everyone is going to listen. I know that, I am realistic. So my reply is always, "Well it is worth it if I get one kid to change their mind". So I started last March. In April I started teaching Abstinence Education in Willcox. I did the 10th and 11th graders. It was my first time teaching alone, and I had a really bad cold, and a GIANT cold sore on my upper lip. It was kinda funny, I just said it was a visual aid. So I wasn't really sure if I got thru to any of them, but oh well.
So today I went to a Career Fair at Willcox High School. I was kinda excited to see if any students recognized me. And most did. Well during the time that the seniors were in there, a senior boy came over to my table. He said, "Mrs. Sherman I just wanted to say thank you for coming and teaching us last year. And I decided to be abstinent after taking the classes." So I was like, "Oh that's awesome, gob job,...etc." And he said,"Yeah and I treat girls alot different now and I really changed the kind of girl I go out on dates with." So I again said, "Wow that's really cool.....etc." So I had some small talk with him for a few mintues and then I asked him what I had been asking all the other seniors, "What are your plans after you graduate?" He said, "I am going to stay around here for a few months and then I am going on a mission." I was so shocked, I had no idea this kid was LDS, and I don't know if he knew I was. So of course again I was like, "Oh thats great, congratulations...etc.."
When he first told me I was pretty happy for him. But later today as I drove home for Willcox I thought about it more, and it left a pretty big impression on me. I always told people that if I could change one kid, it would be worth it. But this boy, it just amazes me to think about. Not because he looks like a bad kid, but because of all the good he can do because of his choice. The long term affects it could have, not only on him but for others.
I dont' know if anyone else can appreciate this as much as I do....but I had to write about it.

2 comments:

  1. That's so great!! That kind of thing makes the job worth putting up with the disrespectful kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it when something like that happens. It makes all your hard work worth it even if it's just one kid! Way to go Nicole!

    ReplyDelete